Research has shown that youth living within the juvenile justice system have higher instances of unplanned teen pregnancy and sexually transmitted diseases. Unfortunately, few sexual health education resources are available to meet the needs of this special group.
The WestEd Justice & Prevention Research Center, as part of a multi-year study, partnered with the Oregon Youth Authority and app-creator Efficacity to create Healthy U, a tablet-based app.
Healthy U is designed to curb unplanned teen pregnancy by educating young males, ages 14-19, who are living in juvenile justice facilities. Through games, interactive scenarios, and short videos, the app provides information about puberty, sexual health, sexual consent, and healthy relationships.
In this archived webinar, you will learn about the Healthy U app.
Who Will Benefit
- Individuals interested in low-cost, innovative methods for teaching sexual health education
- Individuals serving justice-involved youth
- Officials from state or county offices serving justice-involved youth
- Staff from federal agencies and foundations that fund innovations and studies in health and/or justice
What You Will Learn
During this webinar, participants will:
- Learn about the Healthy U app and how it was tailored to target youthful offenders
- Discover how the Oregon Youth Authority has been using the app to provide sexual health education
- Hear about current study findings on Healthy U